As competent supervisory authority, the Bank of Greece supervises the Greek banking and financial system with a view to ensuring the soundness and robustness of credit institutions and the stability of the financial system in Greece.
The Bank has also been assigned the supervision of the private insurance system with a view to protecting policyholders, ensuring the smooth operation of the private insurance market and consolidating consumer confidence, as well as safeguarding financial stability in Greece.
The Supervised Institutions Inspection Department participates in the performance of the Bank of Greece’s supervisory tasks.
The Supervised Institutions Inspection Department:
- conducts on-site inspections of credit and financial institutions and of insurance undertakings;
- conducts on-site inspections and supervises the IT systems of credit and financial institutions and of insurance undertakings;
- formulates the regulatory framework, supervision and on-site inspection of entities supervised by the Bank of Greece with a view to preventing money laundering and terrorist financing;
- authorises and supervises payment institutions, e-money institutions, bureaux de change, account information service providers and payment initiation service providers; and
- conducts on-site inspections and supervises credit and financial institutions and insurance undertakings supervised by the Bank of Greece that have been placed under liquidation.
- Supervised Institutions IT Risk Assessment Section
- Inspections Secretariat Section
- Liquidations Section
- On-Site Inspections Section A
- On-Site Inspections Section B
- Supervised Institutions IT Systems Audit Section
- Payment and Electronic Money Institutions Section
- Anti-Money Laundering Section