The History of the Central Building
The Bank of Greece was founded in 1928. Until 1938, it had its offices at the National Mortgage Bank building at 28 Panepistimiou street. The Bank's central building (6,025 square metres), located in the very heart of Athens (21, Panepistimiou/El. Venizelou Street), is a representative example of the academicism of public architecture in Greece during the interwar period.
In 1929, an architectural competition was held in which
- First Honourable Mention was awarded to the designs of architects: C. Laskaris, D. Tripodakis, M. Lazaridis, B. Cassandras, L. Boni
- while Second Honourable Mention went to A. Magiassis, J. Despotopoulos and M. Lazaridis.
The preliminary designs were elaborated by architects N. Zoumboulidis and C. Papadakis. Construction began in 1930 under the supervision of the Bank's newly established Department of Technical Services, headed by C. Papadakis and with N. Zoumboulidis serving as technical advisor.
The building was inaugurated on 4th April 1938. Extensions to the building were added, first, towards both Omirou and Edward Law Streets after World War II, and, later, in the 1970s towards Stadiou Street (planning - supervision: Department of Technical Services of the Bank of Greece; architect: N. Sapountzis, technical supervisor: architect A. Papanastassiou, advisor: architect Em. Vourekas). The Bank of Greece thus occupies the entire block.
Finally, in 1982, another storey was added to the building (planning - supervision by architects of the Bank’s Department of Technical Services: Em. Dalaklis, I. Karagiannaki, technical supervisor: N. Sapountzis, technical advisor: Em. Vourekas).
Pursuant to a decision of the Ministry of Culture in 1989, the building has been listed as a historical monument.
The Bank's new building
The Bank’s new building on 3 Amerikis St., inaugurated on 28 January 2004, has a total area of 13,279 m2 and comprises 6 underground levels, 2 ground-floor levels and 8 floors.
The building houses the Banking Supervision Department, the Supervised Institutions Inspection Department, the Private Insurance Supervision Department, the Financial Stability Department and the Resolution Unit.
The Museum of the Bank of Greece has been operating on the two ground-floor levels since 2010. On the occasion of the building’s inauguration, an exhibition of paintings by Michael Axelos, donated to the Bank by his daughter and artist Anna Axelos-Kontomatis, was held at the Museum.